just procrastinating

Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Sink or Swim
Almost every purchase I make goes on my United Mileage Plus Visa so I have a vested interest in seeing United Airlines succeed. That being said, I have to agree with Kevin at Truck and Barter here that it is time for United to learn to live without government loan guarantees. Here is his summary:
If they cannot climb out of bankruptcy on their own, perhaps they don't deserve to survive. I say let 'em fail!

There would be a market upheaval if the second largest carrier failed. I'm not going to judge whether this would be "good" or "bad" in a welfare sense, but clearly creative destruction is sweeping through the airline industry.
It would be a shame if they failed, but they need to learn how to make money. As Southwest and Jet Blue have proven, you can make money in air travel.


 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com