just procrastinating

Sunday, June 27, 2004

Tennis Mistakes
I think there is a little unfair piling on going on here. I saw the tie-breaker between Venus Williams and Karolina Sprem earlier today on ESPN and it was quite clear that everyone was confused. For me to expect a 19-year old speak up in front of a veteran player, seasoned officials and crowd that were equally as clueless would be a bit much, considering that at 34, I am just about at the point where I might be confident enough to do that. Even then, I would be wondering if I was just imagining things.

Here are some comments by sister Serena and Andy Roddick that probably were best kept to themselves:
"I think as a competitor and as a professional, you should be able to distinguish right from wrong," Serena Williams said, when asked what she would do if she were ever handed a free point. "I've never been in a situation like that before. But you know, I'm an honest individual. So if I were in that situation, I know I would make the right choice."

"Personally, I'd have trouble just taking a point from someone," Roddick said. "You know I've heard that no one noticed that stuff, but if it's the biggest match of your life, I'm figuring you know what the score is. I'd have a real issue just pretending like nothing was wrong and just taking the point."
The ESPN guys mentioned that this would only happen at Wimbledon, because in the US or even in France the crowd would be rumbling about it and they wouldn't be able to keep playing until it was resolved.


 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com