just procrastinating

Monday, April 05, 2004

Ten Years Ago
Kurt Cobain died ten years ago today. Here is a story in the Washington Post about him. I thought this part was kind of funny:
He left behind his music, but if we're being honest, let's admit that he also left us a hellacious mess. Since 1994, every rock band selling bleakness that has reached the upper end of the charts has owed something to Nirvana. It takes an elastic sense of responsibility to blame an artist for his less gifted imitators, but without "Nevermind" there would have been no Creed, no Puddle of Mudd, no Godsmack, no Korn.
What do they say about a butterfly flapping its' wings?

Back in the early 90s, I was a big fan of Nirvana, like most people my age, I suppose. I liked Kurt Cobain, even though he was always seemed kind of pissy. But I didn't care, I had all the records and learned how to play all of the songs on the guitar. But now I can't really listen to them anymore; I have heard them so much that I think they are pretty much played out in my head. I feel sorry for that poor kid of his: Her Dad is gone and her Mom is pretty much gone too.


 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com