just procrastinating

Tuesday, March 30, 2004

We're Number 1?
One of my co-workers mentioned this new list from Cities Ranked and Rated and it has Charlottesville ranked at the top. What timing, right when we are about to leave. Here is the top ten:
"Cities Ranked and Rated": The Top 10

1. Charlottesville, VA
2. Santa Fe, NM
3. San Luis Obispo, CA (includes Atascadero and Paso Robles)
4. Santa Barbara, CA (includes Santa Maria and Lompoc)
5. Honolulu, HI
6. Ann Arbor, MI
7. Atlanta, GA
8. Asheville, NC
9. Reno, NV
10. Corvallis, OR
I'll admit that it is a great town, but number one might be pushing it. If it's all downhill from here, that's not a good sign. But Charlottesville is in a great part of the country, nestled in the foothills of the Shenandoah mountains with a nice downtown mall. But it is small: the town itself is like 40,000 and the surrounding counties make the metro area only about 160,000. I suppose the college adds to it. The thing that I miss is that there really aren't any decent stores like a Nordstroms or something that you would get in a bigger city. You have to go to Richmond which is an hour away to find that kind of thing.

College towns seem to do well on these lists. I also lived in Ann Arbor for about 2 years and I liked it there too, but the winters were just too cold and dreary. They had some really nice restaurants and a lot of stuff to do around town. I don't see Knoxville in the top 50 and that is a college town, so I wonder why they didn't make it.


 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com