just procrastinating

Friday, March 05, 2004

Stern
I used to listen to Howard Stern all the time, but we don't get him down here. I am still a big supporter of him so I am paying careful attention to this. Stern thinks he won't be around much longer because he has changed his tune on George W:
"My days here are numbered because I dared to speak out against the Bush administration and say that the religious agenda of George W. Bush concerning stem cell research and gay marriage is wrong," Stern continued. "And that what he is doing with the FCC is pushing this religious agenda. And also the fact that the guy takes more vacation than any President ever. It's time for him to leave. Having said that pushed me off the air in six markets."

Stern says the end game of him being thrown off the air is already set, predicting "the FCC in a matter of weeks will come out with a trumped up list of things I said that they find offensive that Infinity will have to fire me." Later in the show Stern said he was "tempted to shut my mouth about all of it, because it will go away." He then added "I don't think we can stop it, short of me calling up President Bush and saying 'Look man, I'm going to support you, so don't do this.'"
I always thought that Bush was just paying lip service to his socially conservative constituency and didn't really mean the things he said. In my mind he didn't really care about stem cells or gay marriage, he just cared what his base thought. I can understand that as a political calculation. He would say the right things and just wait around for nothing to happen, and that's usually what happens. He makes a speech, the news buzzes, committees are formed and then maybe there is a report, but nothing really changes. Most of the time that is a good thing. At least for me, in terms of the right's social agenda.

But if this Stern thing happens, its personal. And it means he is serious about this. I don't need these clowns telling me what I can or can not listen to or watch; I'm perfectly capable of deciding that myself. If come November, Howard Stern is out of a job, then I want Bush to be as well.


 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com