just procrastinating

Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Job Satisfaction
From Tyler Cowen I found this interesting post on happiness and job satisfaction that hits home. Here is the study that he is referring to on job satisfaction. His research shows that job satisfaction tends to decline until about your late 30s and then increases. The reasons:
"We are not sure why. However, one theory is that life tames one's wilder expectations, and that this process hurts but works. Folks realise they cannot all be chief executive and learn to live with their own limitations. Then, life improves for them. They accept themselves."

This is something that I have been thinking about for awhile now. Part of getting older is gradually learning to accept your limitations and acknowledging that perhaps you aren't ever going to be in charge of the place, or want to be for that matter. The kind of sacrifices in your personal life that someone has to make to be a CEO aren't something that I would be willing to do.

Kind of on a related note: I had a dream the other night and I was back in high school talking to one of my friends and he said something like, "doesn't it suck to be in high school again?" And I agreed that high school totally sucked, but said "In some ways I was happier back here, because at that point in my life I could still be anything that I wanted to be."


 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com