just procrastinating

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

United 93
We checked out United 93 over the weekend. I wasn't sure if I wanted to see this because I knew how it ended, but it was the only real option on Charlottesville's downtown mall this weekend. But they did a great job with this movie. Even though you know what is going to happen, the movie was filled with suspense. I felt like I got a workout because my heart was racing so much during it.

The directors did a great job of capturing the confusion on the ground. They mention at the end of the movie, after all 4 planes were down, the military finally got the OK to shoot down any hijacked airliners. Whoever received that order decided not to pass that along to the pilots in the air, because there was so much confusion that he was worried that they might make a mistake. Great call by that guy.

If anything it made me think about the real people who were on that flight, and I spent the rest of the night googling people like Thomas E. Burnett, Jr., who seemed to be the real leader of the effort and Jeremy Glick, the judo champion, who took it upon himself to attack the guy with the bomb and confidently stated that he would just break his arm. Just normal, everyday people who wake up one day and find that they have to do something extraordinary.


 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com