just procrastinating

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Alito
I'm kind of bored by the Alito coverage and I haven't really been following it, but that doesn't mean I don't have an opinion. I think this Radley Balko piece kind of sums up my thoughts on him. Here is the bottom line:
The real ideological split these days is between judges who are skeptical of government power, and justices who embrace it. In that vein, Scalia and Ginsberg, et al. are one and the same. Brown, Thomas, Rehnquist, and O'Connor (to a lesser extent) are the good guys.

By all indications, Alito is in the former group. Which is why I think libertarians -- and principled conservatives, come to think of it -- ought to oppose his nomination.

I'm sure he is a fine judge, but I can just tell by watching him that he's not my kind of guy.


 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com