just procrastinating

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Chuck, Chocolate
Sat through Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on PPV last night. Johnny Depp wasn't quite as creepy as the reviews seemed to indicate, but I'll take Gene Wilder over him any day. This new version really didn't step up to the plate and deliver anything interesting.

Given the technology today, Tim Burton could have done a heck of a lot more with the edible candyland garden in the early scene of the movie, and it wasn't really any better than the 1971 version. The Oompa Loompa numbers were more lavish, but it was hard to hear the lyrics (these kids today with that music...I tell ya).

Gene Wilder rocks in the original, so it's hard for Johnny Depp to compete on that level. I still find myself humming that little tune from the original: "There is no life I know, that compares with pure imagination..." Anyway, not a bad take on a classic, but not something that I'd watch more than once.


 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com