just procrastinating

Thursday, November 04, 2004

Peace Offering
I like Director Mitch's idea to make nice with the Democrats:
Hand Across the Isle - Let's Raise the Minimum Wage
First, let me get something out of the way. I am not a fan of the minimum wage. Economists on both the left and right agree it destroys jobs, it passes higher costs to consumers, and the cost to businesses is higher than the actual wage itself due to the "loaded costs" of social security, Medicare, etc. There is also the philosophical issue of how much the government should meddle in the invisible hand of the free market.

But I'm a realist about it. It's with us and it's here to stay. And it is an issue that is near and dear to democrats and much of their base (some union wages are pegged to the min wage, so a raise in the min wage gives some higher paid union members a raise as well).
I consider myself a realist when it comes to the minimum wage as I mentioned once here, and I hope that Bush takes this one up.


 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com