just procrastinating

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Sports Rules
I wish I like watching sports more. I don't know what happened. I used to live for 12:00 on Sunday in the fall to watch Walter Payton rush for 100 yards and the Bears lose, but for those few winning seasons. And the Cubs? Man I loved staying up late on those summer nights watching the West coast road trip against the Dodgers back in the 80s. And what about those Bulls playoffs in the early to mid 90s? Those were classic. I never missed them. Now, maybe I'll watch some college football now and again, but that's about it.

Anyhow, not that any of that matters, but here was a good article about the dumbest rules in sports, most of which I agree with, but maybe not this one:
Baseball Managers Wearing Uniforms
An unwritten rule, to be sure -- but no less unforgivable. Imagine Stan Van Gundy in a jersey and shorts, Bill Belichick in shoulder pads and a helmet, Scotty Bowman in a sweater and skates. Silly, right? So how is Jack McKeon in a uniform any different?

I think that reason for this is that the coach actually goes out on the field, which is quite dirty, and in the past was likely hitting ground balls to the players and actively involved in the pre-game. So it's unlikely that they could get away with dressing business casual. I suppose you could argue that the football coach dress would be more appropriate since there is no reason to wear spikes and a cup. But in the end, I think tradition rules on this one.


 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com