just procrastinating

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Wedding Crashers
It's rare that I'll go see a movie on a Saturday night that just opened--what with the cramped elbow rubbing with strangers--but I got roped into Wedding Crashers this weekend. I read the Ebert review the day before, and he didn't have much good to say (sticking it with 2 stars) which for Ebert now is pretty bad. These days it seems like he will give 3 stars for just trying hard and having a good message, the good liberal that he is.

Anyway, two thumbs up from me, with a few caveats. Part of the reason that we went to see this is that my wife really digs both Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn: Owen because he's really cool and all (and I guess he is) and Vince because he's really tall (which, well, I guess is also true). He's also quite bloated these days, not the rakish young Trent that we all remember. So there's that.

But the movie was very funny. Again like most movies, they could have cut 20 minutes out and it would have been better, but at least you get your money's worth on a per minute basis. The gist of the plot is the standard boy meets girl, boy decides to change his ways and win her from her current boyfriend, etc. The girl, Claire, played by Rachel McAdams is pretty amazing, and if I met her I'd say she was radiant (and I knew I'd seen her before, she was the Hot Chick in the movie of the same title).

There are lots of funny moments in this movie and I think it will do well because there is an element of chick flick in it. I only noticed because on the way out of the theater there were some college dudes behind me that were expressing some reservations about that like, "It was funny but it got kind of girly at the end, etc." I'd say it was better than the most recent Wilson-Farrel-Vaughn-Stiller movies that have come out over the past few years.

One last thing that was kinda funny, for me anyway. There's a scene (or two) where Vince's character tries to rationalize their somewhat irresponsible womanizing behavior away by saying "you know, when we look back on this we'll just say we were young". To which the now 36-year old Wilson says to the 35-year old Vaughn, "You know, we really aren't that young." Yep.


 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com