just procrastinating

Friday, June 24, 2005

Movies
Here's an article in the LA Times that talks about this year's decline in box office receipts. I'm partly responsible for this and I'm not sure why. When I was a teenager and even into my 20s, I would probably go to the movies at least once a month. Now maybe it's 3 or 4 times a year. It might be that it is easier to just wait until it comes out on video, and as I grow older, I just don't like being in crowds of people for an extended period of time. Here is an explanation from the article:
Just as home entertainment systems --including plasma screens and surround sound--have become increasingly lavish, the overall moviegoing experience has become a shell of its former self. Even as theaters offer stadium seats and martinis, moviegoers are being bombarded with countless advertisements and coming attractions.

"Going to a movie theater used to be a unique way of seeing a movie and carried with it a romantic notion--it was a special forum you shared with a group of people," said Terry Press, the head of marketing for DreamWorks. Theater advertising is annoying and ruins the value of movie previews, which are a studio's most powerful marketing tool, Press said. "At least at my house I have the ability to fast-forward through the commercials," she said.
I imagine that as HDTV screens get bigger and cheaper, and video games and the web offering more interactive alternatives, the movies will continue to suffer.


 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com