just procrastinating

Friday, October 15, 2004

Ebert on Team America
I suppose it doesn't surprise me that Ebert doesn't like the new Team America. I like Ebert, but he is so liberal that he can't comprehend a movie which offends so equally:
I wasn't offended by the movie's content so much as by its nihilism. At a time when the world is in crisis and the country faces an important election, the response of Parker, Stone and company is to sneer at both sides -- indeed, at anyone who takes the current world situation seriously. They may be right that some of us are puppets, but they're wrong that all of us are fools, and dead wrong that it doesn't matter.
Of course, I haven't seen the movie yet, but I like movies like this.

But this gets to something that I have to question. Why is this an important election? I mean any more so than others? Ultimately, I could live with Kerry, since, if he is to be believed, his position on Iraq and the war on terror is essentially the same as Bush's. On domestic issues, there are some differences, but anything Kerry can do that is bad (tax increase, socialized medicine, etc.) will be toned down or halted by a Republican congress, so it probably won't be that big of a deal if we have to live with him for 4 years.

I think that for liberals like Ebert, this is an important election, "The most important election in a generation", because if they don't win this one, they're done. Game over. Back to the drawing board. They are desperate for a win here.


 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com