just procrastinating

Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Why Are People Still Tanning?
I heard about this story on the way to work, about a California law-maker who wants to ban teens from using tanning salons, unless it is for a medical reason.
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Assemblyman Joe Nation is wary of the dark. And the bronze. And even that reddish pink glow.

The Marin County lawmaker, who has pale skin and knows first-hand the dangers of skin cancer, wants to take away every California teenager's freedom to get a wicked indoor tan.

He has introduced legislation banning anyone under 18 from using a tanning machine with ultraviolet rays, except under doctor's orders. No more after-school roasting or base-coating before spring break.

"We don't say it's OK for a parent to give their child a cigarette at age 15, because there is no good that can come from that," said Nation. "We also know there is no good that can come from a tanning salon."
Now I agree with the assemblyman on tanning, but I am always get a little wary when people start talking about banning this or that, so I wouldn't support this. But why are people tanning in California? Can't you just go outside? It's free. And secondly, why are people still tanning? Yeah, I know the teens don't know any better, and think they will always have perfect skin, but I see grown ups walking out of these places even now.

I went to one of these places once (OK, twice) back in 1990, but it was for "medical reasons". The reason being, I would have felt bad if I went back to school after Christmas break and wasn't tan, after telling everybody I had been in Florida. But I felt ridiculous in there, and that was before we were absolutely certain that they were bad for you.


 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com