just procrastinating

Friday, April 30, 2004

One of those Days
Things were going well this morning. I slept in until 6:30 or so and was out of the house by 7:00. I decided to switch cars with my wife and take the Jeep to get inspected and get her oil changed, as I mentioned before. So I went to the Merchant's Tire and Auto which is only about 3 or 4 blocks from my office and dropped the car off and walked the rest of the way to the office. It was a nice cool morning and everything is green now, that new fresh green of spring. I was at the office by 7:25.

I got into the office and swiped my card at the door and one of my co-workers was there, Henry. I joked to him, "Hey today could be my last day, you know, we have that meeting and all." We had an "All hands meeting" today at 10AM to discuss financial results and the pipeline (business that we are working to get in the future), but these meeting also seem to happen when they do layoffs.

Sure enough, not 5 seconds after I say that, my boss comes over and says, "You got a minute."

Fuck. I guess I knew it could happen, but I had kind of convinced myself that it wasn't going to happen to me. I'm not sure how or why I did that. So I signed a few papers, sent a bunch of personal files to my new gmail account, which I am really happy to have for this, packed up a box and that was it. Actually that wasn't really it, because I didn't have a car, so I had to hoof it back to Merchants, who were actually done already (it's 8:20 by now) get the Jeep, drive back to work, get my box of crap, say some goodbyes and that was it. I was home by 9:20.

No biggie though. I'm bummed about the loss of income, but its only 6 weeks, since I get 2 weeks severance and I was planning on making my last day June 25. It gives me ample time to study for level 1 of the CFA exam, which I had almost written off and thought I would just wait until Dec. Our house is going on the market this weekend, so I will be able to keep the place clean and take care of the dog, who we have to do something with when people are looking at the place, because she doesn't really like strangers in the house.

No hard feelings for the people at work either. The partners there are battling for their survival in an industry that has recently become commoditized, and getting new business is not an easy task. The job was never really my thing: I was hired there back when the place was Commerce One under the impression that within 6 months or so I would be a practice manager for their Strategic Sourcing practice. Well that didn't really pan out and I was laid off once before for a few months, only to be hired back when this group split off from Commerce One.

So now I guess I am full-time looking for a job. And what great fun that is.


 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com