just procrastinating

Friday, February 13, 2004

Perfomance Review
I had my performance review yesterday with the boss which went as expected and we started to have a discussion about positioning me for my next project, since this one will likely end May 1. Since now there is a 98.4% chance that my wife and I will be moving to Knoxville in July, and I don't want him to expend any effort positioning me in a different role, I decided to ask him if we could have an "off the record" conversation. He said, "sure, I seem to be having a lot of those". So I told him that come July, I would be moving to Knoxville, so if the company is in trouble and he is looking for someone to lay off, I would be the perfect candidate since I am leaving either way. He kind of sensed this, because he knew that my wife's fellowship was ending in June and that I hadn't mentioned that she was staying with the University.

But anyway, I'm glad that I told him, because we are pretty friendly around the office and it would just be uncool of me to fake as if I was staying and have him go out of his way for me, only to give my 2 weeks notice in June. If word does leak to the suits about this, well then he's got some 'splainin' to do, but it is unlikely.

The reason I say a 98.4% chance that we are moving is that my wife is actually in Kansas City, MO, today on an interview, but is only going to recoup her $650, because she had to pay for her ticket in advance and they will reimburse her. There is a 1.6% chance that she will hear something from them that she likes, get an offer and accept it.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com