just procrastinating

Saturday, January 24, 2004

Who is James Bond?
Earlier today I started watching this movie "Crossplot" on cable because according to the Info button on my remote, it was made in 1969 and starred Roger Moore. I always like watching movies that were set when I was born, just because it lets me see the world as it was then. In this movie Roger Moore played an ad exec who was looking for a Hungarian model to pose for a shoot, not knowing that she had overheard an assassination plot and was being hunted by bad guys. But it wasn't a good movie.

Anyway, it got me thinking about James Bond, and how to me, growing up, Roger Moore was James Bond. Its not like everyone had a VCR back then or they showed old Bond films on network TV with any regularity, so until 1983, when Sean Connery returned to the role in "Never Say Never Again", I didn't know that anyone else had been James Bond. "Moonraker" was the first Bond film I saw; I was 9. So when people say: James Bond: Connery, Moore, Dalton or Brosnan? My gut says Roger Moore, even though objectively it is Connery: any comparison between the Bond of the 60s and the goofy wide lapel tuxedo Bond of the 70s would point to Connery.

I'm not sure what my point is here, except maybe to say that whatever you are more familiar with is genuine, until you know better.


 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com