just procrastinating

Thursday, May 26, 2005

These Kids Today
This article in CSM about modest teens having trouble finding clothes that cover their assets, and the discussion of it here got me thinking: The guys in college today have it incredibly good.

There wasn't a lot of skin tight stuff back when I was in college. If I think about it, it seems like most of the girls I knew were wearing some version of party favor sweatshirt or T-shirt that was likely an L or an XL. At the gym, at best, the girls were wearing spandex biking shorts covered by a large T-shirt of some kind. There just wasn't a lot of skin back then.

Now there is plenty of skin, but in many cases it is better left covered. I go to the gym here on campus at U Va. and I see plenty of girls who I would describe as "flanky", you know the girls that have a lot of back and side fat and aren't too shy to let it hang. I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing; I suppose it's healthy to have a positive body image that would allow you to do that, but it's not really aethetically pleasing--to me anyway.

I've read articles that this trend has peaked and clothes are reverting back to more modest styles, so maybe we will be seeing less of this.


 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com