just procrastinating

Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Presidential Performance
I watched the presidential press conference last night and I thought Bush did a pretty good job, a much better performance than the state of the union. The speech he gave at the beginning was very well done and he had the right tone for the occasion.

One problem that I have with Bush is that he is behind the scenes too much, and I think this reflects poorly on his leadership. He should have given this speech last week, or even earlier when everything seemed like it was spinning out of control. He needs to get in front of things and not let the press or the Kerry campaign frame them for him. If Bush loses in November, it is entirely his own doing.

The Q&A with reporters is a different thing, and I hate when politicians don't answer the questions and in this case, Bush was pretty quick to change the subject. I understand that this is a song and dance that the press and all politicians play, but I do find it annoying. The press seemed determined to have Bush give the Kerry folks some good fodder for their campaign, by trying to get Bush to admit to mistakes, or apologize to the 9/11 families, but he wasn't providing them with anything.

But all in all, I feel a little bit better about our President and the way things are going.


 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com