just procrastinating

Tuesday, June 01, 2004

BMI
Radley Balko at The Agitator has an article in Time this week about obesity and what the government should do about it. His answer, which I agree with fully: "If you aren't responsible for what you put into your mouth, chew and swallow, what's left that you are you responsible for?"

Anyway, he mentions how Time Magazine uses the BMI:
TIME embraces the Body Mass Index (BMI) throughout the issue as supreme arbiter of "obese" and "overweight," without a hint of skepticism...
I've been working out a bit harder recently and eating these protein shakes after my workouts for a couple of months now. And they work. Result: I am now officially overweight according to my BMI. I am 5'11" and now 180 lbs, so that is a 25.1 BMI which just puts me into the overweight category, but I really don't think I look it. The BMI is a just a useless measure if you have any muscle on you at all.


 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com